Floor Glass with Steel Frames
Floor Glass with Steel Frames
“Walk on floor glass is available through our webshop in 25.5, 31.5, 33 and 39mm thicknesses to suit most residential and commercial structural floor glazing applications. We also offer a range of steel support frameworks to make installation a doddle and protect your walk on floor glass….”
A glass floor panel will allow light transfer throughout a room and eliminate or heavily reduce any darker shadowed areas…..and for the most part, once installed, this is totally free of charge! So not only does a glass floor panel look pretty darn cool, it will also offer functional light transfer and in the long run, save you money! – a pertinent feature in this year’s energy-fuel crisis.
Installing a walk-on glass floor panel can seem a scary prospect however for the most part, it’s really quite simple and there are some basic principles to consider:
- Floor glass should be installed level. Sloping glass would be generally be a hazard.
- Edge protection – The floor glass should have its edges protected to prevent any accidental damage. The edges of a toughened glass panel and particularly the corners would be the weakest points.
- Floor levels – Glass should ideally be installed flush to your finished floor level to avoid any trip ledges or uneven surfaces.
- Support bearing – Floor glass should be seated, generally, 50mm on all it’s sides and never in the middle. A steel frame is generally recommended to provide a sturdy and rigid base that will not perish or warp like a timber frame.
- Surface contact – walk-on glass should always be seated on a rubber gasket and never make contact with any steel, timber, plastics or otherwise.
- Any steel fabricated support framework for floor glass should be completed by a UKCA certified supplier (like Dio-Met) and issued with a Declaration of Performance. Ultimately floor glass and associated steel frameworks are structural products and should only be supplied by a certified manufacturer otherwise such would be illegal.
- Anti-slip finishes – Glass is a polished surface and inherently slippery. For high use floor glass or for panels placed in prominent locations a non-slip treatment should always be considered to help reduce or avoid any accidents.
Dio-Met are ultimately steel fabricators and although we supply walk on floor glass on its own, it is also regularly sold in addition to a steel support framework. We offer three main styles of metal floor glass support frame to suit the vast majority of applications however as always, bespoke variations are available.
Check out our webshop for range of walk-on glass products and options with steel frameworks here : Walk-On Floor Glass
All our steel frameworks for supporting walk-over floor glazing are manufactured in our own Sheffield workshops and shipped nationwide via couriers on a daily basis.
Get in touch with us to discuss your walk on glass and steel framework requirements on 0114 243 9009 or email us email@example.com